Newton Reservoir is located in Cache Valley in extreme northern Utah. It is an intermediate size reservoir of Clarkston Creek on the valley floor. Newton Reservoir was the first water storage reservoir built by white settlers in Utah. It was created in 1871 by the construction of an earth-fill dam. The reservoir shoreline is 66% owned by the Bureau of Reclamation (BLM). Public access is unrestricted. Reservoir water is released entirely for irrigation, but enough water is left in the reservoir that it serves well as aquatic habitat and as a recreation facility. Water use is not expected to change in the foreseeable future.
Newton Reservoir is accessible from the south on U-23 from US-89 in Wellsville. Go two miles north of Newton on 6400 West St., follow the main road as it makes a 90o bend to the right, and arrives at the reservoir in one more mile. Access is also possible from U-142 between Richmond and Clarkston. The turnoff is to the south, 1.25 miles west of U-123 and 3.5 miles east of Clarkston. Follow the road south for about one mile to the reservoir, eventually arriving at the boatramp and dam.
Facilities include a parking area, a picnic area, an improved public boatramp. and restrooms. The nearest public campground is Hyrum State Park, and the nearest private campgrounds are in Logan.